Gears Mississauga will have the only Bike Shop led ride. The ride is Saturday mornings at 8:15am May-August, weather permitting. If you live West of the Mississauga Road store and would like to join up, plan to meet at Munn’s United Church, ready to ride at 8:45am. The church is the North East Corner of 6th Line and Dundas.
At GEARS, your safety, and those riding with you, comes first. Helmets are mandatory, and to participate in any group ride, Insurance through the Ontario Cycling Association ($39), must be purchased, along with a signed waiver in advance of the first ride. This insurance waiver must be filled in and paid online. There are a few different routes we take depending on how people feel and who comes out. In the height of the season there is a group that does a 100+km ride a second that does a 95km ride and a third that does a 75km ride. The long ride is typically faster (over 35km/hr) and the shorter ones around 25-30km/hr.
To obtain your 2013 OCA License/Club Insurance, to ride with any Club in Ontario you must go through the OCA Licensing kiosk on CCN then choose the Membership/License option. You will indicate Gears Bike Shop as your affiliate. This is how you do it…
- Navigate to the OCA Licensing page on CCN: https://reg.ccnbikes.com/lk3/licenses/select-licensee/oca
- Create a new CCN user account or log into an existing CCN user account
- Select who the license purchase is for by checking the box next to the name and click the blue “Order Licenses…” button
- Complete the licensee/member information and continue
- On the license selection screen, the member will need at the very least (if not purchasing a racing license) a 2013 Club Associate Membership for $39.
- On the Setup-License page, in the Affiliation drop-down, Gears Bike Shop. Waiver and payment are both required
Finally, you will need to produce a copy of the receipt or confirmation to the Ride Leader as proof of your membership with OCA. The club card for this member will then be issued by the club. You will not be able to ride without this confirmation.
If you prefer a traditional manual method of signing up, you can fill out the attached waiver, in full with your complete address, birthdate, email and phone number, and bring it to the shop with you $39 payment.
Group Rides – Mississauga & Oakville
It would be a good idea to have a Southern Ontario Road map with you the first couple of times out until you get your bearings. The roads twist a bit and it’s easy to lose your sense of direction. Do not do this ride without a cell phone and everything you need to fix a flat (little bag under your seat, air cartridge and inflator, spare tube, tire levers). Helmets and OCA insurance are mandatory on our rides.